Saturday 15 September 2018

My Top 10 Favourite Retro Kids TV Shows

Well for this first post I guessed I'd list my top 10 favourite shows when I was growing up. Actually picking just 10 is extremely difficult for me as I loved so many. But after much thinking I've whittled it down.

10. Tots TV - CITV and later repeated on CBBC (1993-1998)

The adventures of Tilly, Tom and Tiny in their secret cottage. Yep, I was pretty much obsessed with this show as a nipper. Had numerous VHS cassettes of the show. A Tots TV towel (which has long since disappeared), books and even a rag doll of Tiny.



9. Sooty & Co - CITV (1993-1998)

Sooty has been running on British TV since the dawn of time (Well, since 1952). Sooty has gone through various changes and show formats in those years. My favourite being Sooty & Co. With Matthew Corbett and the gang running a shop in Manchester. The slapstick, aside glances to camera and double entendres were ramped up to 11 in this series. It had a mixture of jokes for kids and adults. So I've been able to watch it as a child and as an adult and still find it amusing.



8. Bodger and Badger - CBBC (1989-1999)

If it was slapstick and full of gunge. I was sold. Bodger and Badger certainly catered for that. Silly knockabout fun with Simon Bodger and his pet pal Badger who loved mashed potato.



7. How 2 - CITV (1990-2006)

One of ITV's long running stalwarts of Kids TV. Not once but twice. Starting off as How in the 60's and 70's. Before being revived as How 2 in the 1990's. A fun educational show presented by Fred Dinenage and Gareth Jones. Alongside Carol Vorderman and later on (depending on the series) Sian Loyd, Gail Porter and Gail McKenna.



6. Chucklevision - CBBC (1987-2009)

Yes, really. Chucklevision ran for an amazing 22 years on CBBC and it never got any less funnier. The Chuckle Brothers are national treasures in my opinion.



5. Mike and Angelo - CITV (1989-2000)

When people think of children's comedy sci-fi. Most people would think of My Parents Are Aliens. But Mike and Angelo was slightly before that and despite also enjoying MPAA. I preferred Mike & Angelo. I just found it funnier and the cheap and outdated special effects seem to add to it's charm. Featuring the goofy humanoid alien Angelo and his human friend Mike. Creating havoc wherever he went. As well as walking on the ceiling a lot.



4. Dick and Dom In Da Bungalow - CBBC (2002-2006)

Since this show ended, I haven't got up early on a Saturday since. It was two hours packed with surreal humour, innuendos, nanny knob knobs, dirty norris, The Neighbours Cat, Stoke-On-Trent, creamy muck muck and of course, BOGIES!. All held together (just about) by the legendary duo.



3. Jungle Run - CITV (1999-2006)

I think anyone who grew up around this time, wanted to be on this show. An adventure gameshow set in a huge jungle set with some slight influences from The Crystal Maze.



2. Art Attack - CITV (1990-2007) 

The original series of Art Attack was amazing. I loved the show so much. Neil Buchanan is a hero of mine! Every week he'd show you how to make just about anything from a load of rubbish and gallons of PVA Glue. Great kids telly. Since the show has ended, Disney Junior have revived it with a different host. But it's just not the same without Neil.



1. Zzzap! - CITV (1993-2001)

Yep, this show was my all time favourite. The crazy world of Zzzap! The Television Comic. Featuring the antics of Cuthbert Lilly, The Handymen, Smart Arty and Daisy Dares. I was obsessed with this show. It was 15 minutes of pure hyperactive entertainment.



So that's a brief run down of my top 10. There's so many more I could include but the list would go on forever. I will, in time, write about all these shows more in depth.


2 comments:

insomniac said...

just came across this blog. look forward to reading this blog.

Jack said...

Hope you enjoy it :)