Saturday 14 September 2019

First anniversary!


Today is exactly one year since I put my ridiculously encyclopaedic knowledge of Kids TV from the 90's and early 00's to some use and launched my nostalgia blog and podcast series. It's been a fun journey so far. The things that have happened include...

  • So far recording 14 audio interviews with people involved in various shows. A mixture of presenters, actors, producers and puppeteers. Some of which are yet to be released!
  • There's one interview in the can I'm really excited to release over Christmas time. But I'm keeping secret. Let's just say it's an icon of not only children's television but children's entertainment in general for many years.
  • One interview I recorded was with Richard O'Brien. The only one that has been done face to face. I emailed his agent, asking if we could speak over the phone. I had to read the email back twice when I got a reply. Richard invited me down to meet him instead and was nothing but humble and hospitable. As a life long fan of The Crystal Maze. I will never forget that hour spent chatting.
  • I can also claim I've spoken to an ex Teletubbie over the phone!
  • I've had previous contestants of both The Crystal Maze and Jungle Run contribute to the blog page and write about their time on those shows. Giving us an insight of what it was like to be there.
  • I've also met puppeteer Francis Wright. At an event at the BFI in London all about 90's Kids TV. Francis has been involved in many shows of that era. But most famously for me. He was 'The Head' on Art Attack. We now regularly chat over email.
  • One of my other favourite interviews was with Gareth Jones who presented How 2 on CITV for a very long time. We spoke over Skype for two hours and we got on really well. About 90 minutes was the actual interview. The rest of which was us just chatting away about all sorts of things. Mostly about Slade! He also kindly put me in touch with Fred Dinenage who I feel very lucky to have spoken with also.
  • I've attended comic con doing Art Attack and Zzzap! cosplays. Which have received so many positive responses and so many people stopping me to take a photo. Not only that, I've also received praise for my work by ex-crew members of those shows.

I plan to carry on finding people I grew up watching to interview. I will write blogs until I completely run out of ideas too! I look forward to what the future journey brings!

No comments: