Saturday 18 May 2019

I met James Mackenzie (AKA CBBC's Raven)


Just a quick blog post. But it was really cool to meet James Mackenzie a few weeks ago. Who is best known for playing Raven in the original version of the CBBC show between 2002-2010. We met in a shopping centre in Wolverhampton. No it wasn't a chance meeting, there was a comic con going on there!

I actually wonder if I would have recognised him if I just happened to walk past. Although James hasn't changed much at all. He does wear glasses now and I have to say was a lot more smiley and cheery than Raven's moody persona.


But Raven was definitely a show I watched a fair bit back in the day. It was basically Game of Thrones meets Knightmare meets Crystal Maze. At least for the first few series. It did run for 8 years and there were a number of spin off's that came about towards the end but I never really saw those. But I do remember the awesome Way of the Warrior challenge at the end of each show which no one ever seemed to win. I have to admit that a few times in recent years, Raven quotes done in the best Scottish accent myself and my friends can muster have been uttered during drunken nights out. I live life very much in the fast lane.

I am aware that Raven has recently returned with a new actress in the role and with James making sporadic appearances as "Raven of old". But I'm going to be honest, I haven't really seen it. I have to admit that I'm past the point of watching kids TV by quite some years now and I'm getting in to that rose tinted spectacled view of "kids TV was so much better in my day!".

I did ask James if he'd be happy to record a chat with me sometime soon if I emailed him and he said yes. He has already done a few which can be on Youtube. So I'll have to think up of some different questions. We'll have to see what happens...


No comments: